Timing is Everything!
We’re reposting this blog because we’ve recently had a spate of phone calls from clients who have recently upgraded their hardware and subsequently their operating systems, only to find that their Microsoft Dynamics GP version no longer works.
Stop and call us before you make some of those hardware decisions. There are some issues that you need to consider before you replace that hardware, depending on what version of products you are currently on.
There are some 64-bit operating systems that are supported with Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 and Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0 and they are:
- The 64-bit versions of Windows XP
- The 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2003, including Terminal Server
- The 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 only)
- The 64-bit version of Windows 7 (Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 only)
The official view of Microsoft on FRx is this: Microsoft FRx 6.7 is not supported on a 64-bit version of Windows. However it can be done and we would be happy to help you, you just need to be aware that there are additional steps to take.
Some of the issues you want to be aware of related to Windows Vista operating system are:
- Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise and Windows Vista Ultimate, 32-bit and 64-bit versions are supported with Microsoft Dynamics GP, however there are special instructions to follow to allow them to run
- If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you must use a 32-bit Open Database Connectivity (ODBC). If you use the 64-bit ODBC, you won’t be able to see the server. We can provide you with the instructions to configure the 32-bit ODBC DSN.
- Microsoft FRx 6.7 is only compatible with Vista if you are on FRx Service Pack 9 or higher.
- Windows Vista supports only Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1 or later versions. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 cannot be installed on a Windows Vista-based computer.
If you have a lot of additional products that you are integrating with Microsoft Dynamics GP, you will want to check their compatibility also. Many are as compatible as Dynamics GP but it’s always best to check before it’s critical.
Hopefully this gives you a little insight into your hardware planning issues. There are issues with purchasing new computers if you are operating with old version of Microsoft Dynamics GP and FRx so you don’t want to be “stuck” if a machine goes down and needs immediate replacement. It’s a good idea to take a couple of minutes to think about it now and contact us with any questions you might have.
If you have additional questions about System Requirements for the version of Microsoft Dynamics GP that you are on, please give your account manager or consultant a call. If you are considering an upgrade of Microsoft Dynamics GP, you may want to get the System Requirements documentation also to be sure your current hardware will handle the new version and that your versions of Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer and Adobe also meet the requirements.
By Barb Schroth, Microsoft Dynamics GP consultant at OTT, Inc.